Prevention of UTI
There are a number of ways to prevent the occurrence or recurrence of Urinary Tract Infections:
- Urinating and cleaning the genital area before and after sexual intercourse
- Women who have reached menopause are advised to use an oestrogen cream to reduce the chances of infections
- Women who have a recurring UTI problem are advised to keep a dose of antibiotics specified by their doctor always close at hand.
- Using sanitary pads instead of tampons, as the latter are believed to increase the chances of infection.
- Avoiding feminine hygiene sprays, perfumes or powders.
- Those who have a recurring problem of UTI are advised to drink a lot water and cranberry juice - a diuretic that helps clean the system - unless they have kidney stones or a family history of it.